|My applique in progress|
I was really surprised how simple applique is to do. Since i was at a class i did not take step by step photographs, but i will try and give you an overview of the method we used...
1) Choose a design which you would like to applique
2) Trace the design onto the paper side of a sheet of bondaweb - fabulous stuff which is basically a double-sided adhesive layer with paper attached to one side.
3) Press the bondaweb to the WRONG side of your chosen applique fabric
4) Cut out the shape and then peel off the paper layer of the bondaweb. At this stage you will be left with a fabric shape with adhesive on one side.
5) Press the applique shape onto your base fabric or garment to attach.
6) Zigzag stitch either by hand or machine around the applique shape to finish
I have a feeling that you may be seeing applique on lots of my makes in future! The possibilities are endless...bags, cushions, clothes, whatever you fancy. It's such a great way to add personal touches to items. I love it!
In other news, i received a belated birthday present from my brother this week...Cath Kidston's new book!
I have been eyeing this up for some time as i am keen to have a go at patchwork and quilting. Tempted as i am to get started on the free project kit right away (bag or cushion, i can't decide!), i really must get started on my Christmas presents...hopefully i will be reporting some progress on these here soon!