Pages

Wednesday 11 April 2012

Walthamstow Meet-Up

Yes I know...I'm a little late to the party! You have probably already read about last Saturday's Walthamstow Meet Up here and here and here, or maybe here or here....so I'll be brief. It was a fabulous day of swapping and chatting and shopping and eating cake. I had met very few sewing bloggers in real life before last week, so it was a joy to meet so many fantastic and lovely ladies. The whole day was meticulously and brilliantly organised by Claire, who even provided us with sweet treats to keep our sugar levels up after a hard days shopping (those brownies were to die for!).

My amazing swap acquisitions

The first item of business was the swap! I acquired a wonderous selection of fabrics which will help me in my resolution to sew with materials other than cotton! I have some silk-backed crepe which came from Claire, some gorgeous green jersey from Jane, a lovely length of navy patterned something-or-other from Camilla and a beautiful length of chiffon-type fabric with a cute cherry print from Melizza. Thank you so much ladies - I hope to do these fabrics proud!

After the swap. we headed out to have a hunt around the many fabric shops and stalls around Walthamstow market and fabric stalls. Oh. My. God. I have never been amongst such a large number of fabric stalls selling wonderful fabrics for as cheap as chips! Jersey for £2 a metre? Yes please! Cotton prints for £1 a metre? Don't mind if I do.


Chiffon and Jersey

I ended up with a selection of jerseys (planned for Renfrews), some chiffon-type remnets which I plan for blouses, and 5 metres of emerald taffeta-type fabric which may well become a Colette Truffle dress (I know 5m sounds excessive, but the stallholder did me a deal due to a minor imperfection so I got 5m for £4!).


Fabric for a Truffle Dress

I am so pleased with my purchases, as I have been waiting for a chance to try sewing with different fabrics and thanks to the expertise and advice from my fellow sewists I now feel more confident. Particular thanks go to Rachel and Marie for help with my emerald green acquisition! So all in all a fabulous day - I can't wait for the next one ladies!

To add to my excitement further, I received a lovely parcel in the post this week from Andrea over at Invisible Flower....my giveaway patterns that I won!


A fabulous selection of patterns!

Don't they look splendid? I am spoilt for choice of which to make first! So it has been a great week for new sewing acquisitions. Hopefully this will lead to a productive next few months...!

I hope you all had a fabulous Easter weekend :) I spent much of it working on the knitted blanket my mum and I are making. I am pleased to report that we are finally at the stage of sewing it together...


Right I'm off to find the chocolate...!

K xx

7 comments:

  1. Oh my goodnes, what a haul!! I can only dream of finding fabric that is that cheap! I love the green fabric, and at £4 it would have been a crime against sewing to not buy it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Lynne! I love that justification and I am definatley going to be using it in the future!

      Delete
  2. These patterns are adorable.

    Yes loads of new fabrics to try out...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you enjoyed it, I felt personally responsible ;o)

    Your patterns are to die for (love them) and the knitted blanket looks to be coming along very nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to see that green dress! It was a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Haul - I really need to get myself down to Walthamstow at some point - it looks like it'll even beat the Birmingham Rag Market! Those patterns you got look great too. Can't wait to see what you do with them.

    That green fabric will look lovely on the Truffle dress too I think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should Helen...but only if you a prepared to splurge, there is so much bargainous fabric avaliable!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...