Pages

Sunday 27 January 2013

Sock Success Part Deux

Brrrr it's been chilly in the UK this week! And last week too thinking about it. All the cold weather has left me wanted to do nothing much except curl up under a blanket on the sofa. I think I would do well as an animal that hibernates. A bear perhaps. I haven't even been in the mood to do much of anything crafty, which is a shocker. However, over the past few days it has been getting progressively warmer, and there was a spot of rain last night which melted the last of the snow. Today has been sunny and spring-like, and has brought me out of my winter funk.

Despite the lack of craftyness in these parts of late, I do have something to share with you. I have finally finished sock number two. Yep, I have a pair!

 
 

These socks have been a work in progress for what feels like ever. It was way back in September that I first cast on, and October when I finished sock #1...which means sock #2 has taken 3 months to knit (although this was interrupted by Christmas crafting so i guess it wasn't really 3 months). However, I am really pleased with my finished socks. I feel like I have really learnt a lot! When I first cast on I have never worked with double pointed needles, I had never attempted to knit a sock before and I was terrified of the heel! By the time I finished the socks, I was comfortable knitting with dpns and heel #2 was nowhere near as scary as the first.



The yarn used here was Regia 4 ply self-striping yarn (I realise this is totally cheating, but there is no way I would have had the patience to put each of the stripes in individually!!). This colourway is called Snowflake, which seems appropriate given the recent weather. I got both socks from one 100g ball of yarn, with a tiny bit left over. I love the pattern and I tried my best to match the stripes (if mostly worked, although don't look to closely at the heels....!). I followed this pattern here, which was very well explained even for someone clueless at socks!!


Would I knit socks again? Absolutely! They are the perfect transportable project. However, I think the next thing I cast on is a hat - another first for me. I'm looking for something chunky and easy to knit, but which also looks good. Any suggestions gratefully received, otherwise I will be stalking Ravelry this evening!

Knitters, what's on your knitting needles at the moment?

K xx

4 comments:

  1. Yay, well done! They look great, and I love the yarn :)
    I've joined a knit-a-long on Ravelry, for the book Knit.Sock.Love. One pair of socks per month for two years! I've never knit my way through a pattern book before, so it will certainly be a challenge :)
    If you can knit socks, you can easily knit a hat! I can't wait to see what pattern you choose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your socks are fantastic, and yey to the new technics! Your next pair will be much quicker to knit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo hoo! You go girl! You'll be joining Sock Knitters Anonymous before you know it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kat, I wanted to let you know that I have nominated you for the Liebster Award as I love your blog. The purpose of the award is to bring viewers & potential followers to blogs with under 200 followers. Here is the link to the post on my blog: http://smoonbeam.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/liebster-award.html I hope you’ll take part :).

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...