Pages

Tuesday 14 February 2012

Excuse me but...did you make your jumper?

So I have an amusing story to tell and I suspect that the only ones who may also find this amusing is my fellow sewists and knitters!

Today at lunch, I was sitting with my friend Sirisha (who is also very crafty, and is responsible for many of the wonderful crocheted gifts I have shown you, for example this owl, which is actually wonderfully relevent to the story). Anyways, she suddenly said "Kat, Kat, that girl has owls on her jumper!". Now, a few weeks ago I shared with you this jumper that I had spotted on Ravelry and immediately coveted (and had also shown Sirisha)...




So I looked over, and the girl in question was indeed wearing this EXACT jumper! Excitement ensued. After a little debate over whether or not she would think I was a crazy person if approached, I went up to the owl-jumpered girl and asked the fatal question. "Excuse me, I know this is a bit random but...did you make your jumper?!". Luckily we had judged the situation correctly and she did not (as far as I know) take me as a crazy. Turns out her mother had made her the jumper for Christmas. My knitted-garment-that-I-adore-and-want-for-my-own eye was on good form today it seems :) This is the first time that I have identified a homemade garment in this way, and I'm feeling rather pleased with myself!

The jumper, by the way, was even more divine in the flesh (or should that be, in the wool?!). It was green with a white band for the owl pattern, which was a genius idea and one that I may have to borrow. I am so excited to make this jumper now! However, first comes my St James....which is starting to look like a jumper I reckon...




Have you ever recognised a item you have seen on Ravelry or a blog and approached a random person to ask if they made it? I would love to hear your stories (only partly to be reassured that it's not just me!!)

K xx

9 comments:

  1. I went to a knitting expo once. I saw a woman wearing a shawl, and to that shawl she had pinned a note which read "Yes this is a Swallowtail shawl" !! I guess the downside of being surrounded by knitters was that everyone almost-recognised the pattern and was asking about it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe, I love this story Kat! I'd have done the same thing if I spotted that owl jumper anywhere ;o) Oooh, your St James is shaping up too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so great!! Did you look and see if you could find it on Rav?! Your St James is looking fab. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh good idea, didn't think of that! I will have a browse....how funny if I was to find it!

      Delete
  4. That's so cool! I love that jumper pattern, I keep threatening to make one for my daughter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should go for it, I think there is a few of us planning to try it soon. By all accounts it is a reletively simple pattern, but we could swap notes!

      Delete
  5. If you look at Kate Davies (Wazz) on Ravelry you will find the owl pattern. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a pretty well known pattern - it used to be free, but alas no longer. If you search pullover on Ravelry it's the first one that comes up which just shows how popular it is. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/owls-2

    Kate Davies is a genius and her Needled blog is brilliant - really intelligent writing(http://textisles.com/).

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...