Ashley over at Jellybean's Odds and Ends has been kind enough to bestow me with the Kreativ Blogger Award! Thank you Ashley :) If you are not aware of her blog already i would highly recommend that you go and check it out - she has some really lovely makes!
So for this award i have to come up with 10 random facts about me. Hmmm! I often have trouble thinking up things like this, but let's give it a go...
1) I have a PhD in Genetics, which means that i am officially Dr Kat. This sounds a lot more exciting than it actually is. While i was working towards my PhD i was really excited about the prospect of being a Dr, but sadly the novelty wears off pretty quickly. However i do get a certain amount of satisfaction about choosing "Dr" from the list of titles in forms.
2) I was born 6 weeks premature and my parents often tell me how little i was, how i had no eyebrows or eyelashes and had to be kept in an incubator. My mum likes to use me as an example to people who have premature babies and are worried about their development, as in "My daughter was 6 weeks premature and look at her now". I'm never quite sure how to take this, when i was younger i used to get offended about her telling people how "big and strong" i am!
3) I have a GCSE in Agriculture and Horticulture. My secondary school had a farm on site, where we kept animals such as cows, goats, sheep and chickens. This also means that i have all sorts of random skills, for example i can milk a goat (although it's been a while!).
4) I play Flute and Alto Saxophone. When i was at school i was in pretty much every band we had going, and i was quite good at one point, but i am very out of practise these days. In 6th Form i was going to do my Grade 8 Flute (the highest grade) but i decided to concentrate on my A Levels instead....i kind of wish i had taken the exam now.
5) I can raise both of my eyebrows independently. People tell me this is unusual but I'm not convinced (go on, have a go, you know you want to! I'd be interested to know if it's just me...)
6) Ever since i was little i have been a collector of all things owl-y. When i was small i used to have a knitted poncho which i pretended was my wings. Apparently i once answered the front door to a stranger with "Hello, I'm Owl!". Although i no longer pretend to be one (!) I still love owls, i think they are fantastic. I am interested to see that they seem to have had a bit of a renaissance recently, as there are suddenly things with owls on in all the shops. I'm not sure how i feel about being "on trend"!
7) I eat very little meat. Whenever i am asked to give dietary requirements for meetings/dinners/weddings etc i usually describe myself as a vegetarian as this is easiest, but in reality i am just fussy. I eat chicken, sausages and bacon, and that's about it. Definitely no beef or lamb - i just don't like them. I also hate tofu/quorn or any meat replacements. This drives my friends mad as it makes me very tricky to cook for (sorry everyone!).
8) I grew up in a small town called Saffron Walden, which few people have heard of. Therefore i am very excited by the fact that it is mentioned in an episode of Spooks, as well as an episode of Blackadder (Series 4, General Hospital incase you're interested!)
OK this is getting tricky now....2 more to go!!
9) I am very into music, and have a very eclectic taste from classical to indie, jazz to musicals. I will basically listen to anything as long as it has a tune! I love listening to live music and going to festivals. This year will be the first year i haven't been to Glastonbury for 5 years (sniff).
10) I still know all the dance moves to a lot of very uncool 90s tunes including Saturday Night; The Macarena and 5,6,7,8 (yes that's by Steps...)...I'm sure there are more but that is all i am prepared to admit to at present. I am still also more than willing to bust a groove to these tunes at every opportunity, much to the embarrassment of my friends!
There we go, did it :) I'm sure better answers will come to me later, but ah well. I now have to pass this award onto some other Kreativ Bloggers...i think 4 seems to be the required number! So the blogs i have chosen, in no particular order, are:
- Hattie of Hattie's Boutique
- Sam from All Things Quilty...and Sewy
- Marie from A Sewing Odyssey
I looking forward to finding out some random facts about the 4 of you :)